Doing battle with daily dragons

Friday, March 04, 2005

Meme and My Shadow

I got a slightly more interesting version of a fairly common meme in my inbox; thought I’d share. By all means, copy, paste and enjoy.

When’s your birthday and what’s your sign? April 14th, Aries. The Rock Star seems to fit his astrological profile quite well, (he’s a Gemini) but I don’t really have the typical Aries personality.

What’s your tarot card? As a gift for a friend a few years ago, I made a custom tarot deck and actually got down to finding out what they all meant. At the moment, it would be “The Star” out of the Major Arcana. The Star means that your life is in an in-between period and that you have time to sort out your role as actor or spectator.

Do you believe in ghosts? Logically, no, but then the person who doesn’t believe in ghosts is always the first one who gets gacked in the horror film. I believe in energy and the different ways and circumstances under which it can be absorbed. Who can say how that energy manifests itself? I don’t have enough hubris to pretend that I know everything there is to know about stuff like that.

Have you ever been a fanatical fanboy/girl? If so, what was the object of your fandom? I have to admit to being an extreme fangirl, although, in my defence, it was rather a long time ago. When I was about 12, I turned on PBS (the only non-commercial network in the States) and was exposed to Doctor Who for the 1st time. I was totally hooked and went as far as going to a (shudder) convention. My father even built me a rather spectacular cardboard K-9 for my bedroom. Wow. That’s all really pretty embarrassing.

If you could have any superpower, what would it be? Geek Deflection. Anyone who’s heard my Crunchy Piece of Paper Theory will understand. The Rock Star’s is the BEST, though. He’d like Reaper Projection; to be able to make a realistic, pant wettingly frightening image of the Grim Reaper appear in front of anyone at any time.

A style genie grants you three wishes to use to improve your looks. What are they? What kind of container do you reckon a “style genie” lives in? And how do you get them out? 1) $#!*ing sort out my hair. 2) 145lbs for life, thank you, very much. 3) Nibble proof nails would be appreciated.

What color are your eyes? And what color would they be if you got to choose? Blue. I suppose every girl who’s ever heard “Brown Eyed Girl” has wished it could be about her, although I’ve heard some dubious rumors regarding the name of the song in the first place, so I’m not so sure. If not blue, then I suppose a very light grey. One of my teachers in primary school had grey eyes and they were spectacular.

What’s your favorite piece of clothing? I have two t-shirts that I live in; a yellow vintage t with “Yummy Motor Parts” written on it and a grey Zeppelin shirt with the neck cut out. Comfortus Maximus.

Do you have any pieces of body art? I like that it’s called body art. I’ve got a flower vine on my left foot, a butterfly on my right, the Chinese characters for “theatre” on my lower back. (I actually ASKED a Chinese person recently what it said and was very relieved to discover it DOES actually say “theatre” and not “stupid white girl who thinks she have Chinese tattoo.”) I have a good story about how I broke the news of my first tattoo to my parents, but I’ll save that for later.

Who is your favorite famous historical figure? It’s hard to think of just one, but I suppose I love the idea of Shakespeare most, providing he actually did his own writing! Artists of all kinds are cool too.

What’s the last book you finished? Goose Girl, by Shannon Hale. A really beautiful faerie tale about a young woman with extraordinary gifts. In my opinion, some of the best writing done today is being done for young adults.

If you were a house, what kind would you be? WTF?? Right, if I must…a beautiful but chaotic little cottage in the middle of the country with ghosts in the kitchen and glis-glis and sparrows living in the attic.

What’s the worst thing you ever found in your fridge? The Rock Star and I had a two week trip on the boat during which time we had to switch off the fridge to conserve battery power. We ate fresh food every day. When we returned, we discovered to our horror that neither of us had cleaned out the freezer which contained 3 chicken breasts. Both of us nearly yaked from the smell. It was like a scene from CSI, trying to clean that bastard out.

Sunday dinner: Beef or Lamb? Erm…beef, I suppose. But they both taste equally nice with roast potatoes.

What’s the most memorable punishment you ever received as a child? Ooo, no mistaking that one. I was a toddler with a temper and I ill-advisedly threw a VERY sharp pair of scissors at my father hard enough for them to stick in the wall behind his head. (If my aim had been better, I might have bought enough time for a getaway.) I got the spanking of the century. Deservedly so, I think!

What was your favorite toy when you were little? For comfort, a big stuffed sheep called “Lisa” and for pure entertainment value, a little post office my mom made for me out of a refrigerator box.

What was the last song you heard that made you cry? Songs having to do with memory tend to hit me right between the eyes. The last one that kind of took me by surprise was “This Shirt” by Mary Chapin Carpenter. It’s just a song about this shirt that this woman has owned since high school and she describes all of these things she’s done while wearing it over the years. I know, I’m a goober. But my all time personal tear jerker is “Nightswimming” by REM; another piece about the persistence of memory.

Okay, this has nothing to do with the question, but I had a friend in college who was convinced that the song “Mr. Jones” by Counting Crows was about the narrator’s penis. I think my friend might have had a crack habit.

What was the last album you bought? Ben Harper, Welcome to the Cruel World. iTunes has spoiled me a bit for being able to buy only the tracks that I really love.

What song are you listening to right now? Crazy Nights, Kiss. Rock.

What are you going to do after finishing these questions? Make fajitas. Mmmmmm.