Doing battle with daily dragons

Thursday, March 03, 2005

The State Game

Although I now find myself being slowly absorbed and digested by Great Britain, I am an American girl at heart and apart from its politics, it's a pretty fabulous place to see. Here's a little meme that I borrowed from Blues Mama's site.

The States in bold are ones I've visited and the underlined ones I've lived in for a period of time.

Alabama / Alaska / Arizona / Arkansas / California / Colorado / Connecticut / Delaware / Florida / Georgia / Hawaii / Idaho / Illinois / Indiana / Iowa / Kansas / Kentucky / Louisiana / Maine / Maryland / Massachusetts / Michigan / Minnesota / Mississippi / Missouri / Montana / Nebraska / Nevada / New Hampshire / New Jersey / New Mexico / New York / North Carolina / North Dakota / Ohio / Oklahoma / Oregon / Pennsylvania / Rhode Island / South Carolina / South Dakota / Tennessee / Texas / Utah / Vermont / Virginia / Washington / West Virginia / Wisconsin / Wyoming / Washington D.C /

My parents are teachers (my father retired two years ago) and in my mind (probably in theirs too) the biggest perk of the job was three months off in the middle of the year. As a teaching career isn't renowned for its huge paycheck, we did a lot of driving holidays. In the days when I could still read in the car without feeling like I was on the Gravitron at the county fair, these were ideal for seeing large bits of my truly enormous nation.

It is a mortal sin not to see the National Parks if you are an American citizen. They are one of the reasons that I still love America, even though it's being marched grimly to the gates of hell by our strategically shaved monkey of a President with the evil legions of religious extremists leading the way, waving little flags with dead babies on them.

Sorry, sorry, sorry. The dead babies were a step too far.

Was I talking about the National Parks?

Living in England, it is hard not to be struck by a deep sense of human history. Farmers dig up hordes of Roman coins, Bronze age flints and jewelry, etc. Relics of ancient humanity are all around us. History is a heavy weight here that bears down on everything; even the land. In America, it is difficult not to get a sense of natural history. It’s hard not to be awed by vast mountains, deep canyons, skyscraping trees, blue-green algae hot springs and volcanic wastelands. These things are deeply good for the soul and should be seen by everybody if they get a chance. Sometimes, it’s good to feel very small to get some perspective.