Doing battle with daily dragons

Friday, June 17, 2005

"Complementary" Time Travel

This is one of those things that makes my brain explode. I have a VERY slim grasp on quantum physics. In fact, most of my understanding of the subject comes from repeated viewings of "Back to the Future when I was young due to my crush on Michael J. Fox. But apparently, those studying this completely theoretical branch of physics no longer believe that it is possible to go back in time, get your dad to sucker-punch the school bully and come back home to find that you own a brand new pick-up truck.

This leaves two possbilities: either time travel is not possible or there is some unknown force acting in the present to prevent "temporal gymnastics". Certainly preventing your own birth is impossible: if you went back in time and prevented your own birth, you wouldn't have existed to have gone back in time and prevented your own birth. That's the kind of thinking that keeps you awake at night.

I'm glad someone's doing it, though. I'm just glad it isn't me.