Doing battle with daily dragons

Thursday, October 06, 2005

Mmmmmm, Breakfast.

I was reminded this morning by spag, through the Rock Star, of the most amazing breakfast that it was ever my privilege to consume. The reason I thought so fondly of it was because this morning for breakfast, I had a banana.

Many people were hooked by David Lynch’s creepy, comedy drama Twin Peaks back in the 90’s. There were probably fewer people who actually PROFITED from it more (excluding David Lynch, all the actors and producers) than retailers in the town of Snoqualmie in Washington State, where many interior and exterior shots were filmed. The building that doubled for the “Great Northern Hotel” in the series and who’s back facing waterfall vista featured in the opening credits is in fact The Salish Lodge.

My dad and I were both Peak fans, so on our 1991 Northwest vacation, we drove through Snoqualmie on a quick pilgrimage and decided to stop at the Salish for the best and most pricey morning meal on the planet. On the menu: Alder smoked chicken, wild rice, eggs, hot fruit muffins, coffee, tea and mimosas. (However, being only 16, I ended up with orange juice and Sprite, which was slightly less satisfying.)

Man, do Americans ever know how to do breakfast. Should we ever re-locate across the pond for any amount of time, I reserve the right to reject any property that is not within 15 square miles of a Perkins or Denny’s, where, by the grace of some kindly god, will serve you breakfast at 3 in the morning. With those yummy, crispy hash browns and fluffy pancakes. Mmmmm, pancakes. (Homer Simpson dribbling noice)

And now, for your entertainment, some wisdom on the brilliance of brekkie.

Percy: I must say, Edmund, it was jolly nice of you to ask me to share your breakfast before the rigours of the day begin.

Edmund: Well, it is said, Percy, that civilised man seeks out good and intelligent company, so that, through learned discourse, he may rise above the savage and closer to God.

Percy: Yes, I've heard that.

Edmund: Personally, however, I like to start the day with a total dickhead to remind me I'm best.
Blackadder II, “Beer”

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast."
Oscar Wilde

"Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast."
Lewis Carroll

“We plan, we toil, we suffer -- in the hope of what? A camel-load of idol's eyes? The title deeds of Radio City? The empire of Asia? A trip to the moon? No, no, no, no. Simply to wake up just in time to smell coffee and bacon and eggs. And, again I cry, how rarely it happens! But when it does happen -- then what a moment, what a morning, what a delight!”
J. B. Priestley