Doing battle with daily dragons

Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Fighting The Urge to Laugh

I am beginning to come under the assumption that I might just possibly be a bad person.

For years, I’ve felt strongly about the rights and dignity of animals, especially our noble cousins in the simian family. Anyone who’s ever read about Koko the gorilla being taught to “speak” certainly can’t deny our strong connection to these amazing creatures.

So have I become an asshole for laughing like a drain at this?

Monkeys dressed like used car salesmen telling jokes is funny. That’s all there is to it. My mother (who sent me this in the first place, believe it or not) wondered aloud this morning if there was any video of monkeys dressed as George Bush. I sincerely hope not, as this would be utterly humiliating for the monkey. This is best I could come up with so far.

Coincidentally, my favourite joke of all time involves a monkey, but it is unfortunately a rather visual bit of humor, so I will not inflict it on you here. But if I ever meet you in person, ask me to tell it. It’s worth your while.